Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bound buttonholes... success!

After having inspired costume-talk at an Afternoon Tea the other day, I decided I was ready to cut into my 1940s shirt dress and make these crazy things called bound buttonholes.

I followed Wearing History's simplified instructions and seemed to have some success.  I marked out the little 1/8-inch lines on little squares, pinned them to the appropriate places on my dress and stitched the outlines.

Then, SHAKING, I cut into the fabric and flipped the square through to the other side. I  then made the little "lips" and voila: Bound buttonholes:

Making ten of these took me about 6 hours.
Here is a pic of the very messy inside. I still haven't mastered blind stitching.  I am, however, very proud of the covered buttons. I LOVED MAKING THEM!

So, my dress is done now except for hemming the skirt. I'll post a photo of it when I am in a better mood. I was so proud of my work on the dress until I put it on me. I'm not liking the dress on me as much as I like it on the dress form.  

I'm a little disheartened at the moment, but I am hoping getting adjustment advice from Heather tomorrow will cheer me up.

EDIT:  It did!  Here's a fabulous pic: 

I still need to hem the bottom and re-press those pleats, but there it is.

1 comment:

  1. It looks nice here, though. I haven't made bound buttonholes in years and feel a bit nervous about them now.