After having inspired costume-talk at an Afternoon Tea the other day, I decided I was ready to cut into my 1940s shirt dress and make these crazy things called bound buttonholes.
I followed Wearing History's simplified instructions and seemed to have some success. I marked out the little 1/8-inch lines on little squares, pinned them to the appropriate places on my dress and stitched the outlines.
Then, SHAKING, I cut into the fabric and flipped the square through to the other side. I then made the little "lips" and voila: Bound buttonholes:
Making ten of these took me about 6 hours.
Here is a pic of the very messy inside. I still haven't mastered blind stitching. I am, however, very proud of the covered buttons. I LOVED MAKING THEM!
So, my dress is done now except for hemming the skirt. I'll post a photo of it when I am in a better mood. I was so proud of my work on the dress until I put it on me. I'm not liking the dress on me as much as I like it on the dress form.
I'm a little disheartened at the moment, but I am hoping getting adjustment advice from Heather tomorrow will cheer me up.
EDIT: It did! Here's a fabulous pic:
|I still need to hem the bottom and re-press those pleats, but there it is.|