- The first sacrifice has already been made: My Spencer is purple velvet. Not black whatever-her-fabric-is.
2. The second decision is whether or not to make the front open enough to show my dress.
I really want to do this because of the pretty gathering I've done across the front of my dress, but I don't see how, since there is existing cording all along the edge of my jacket which would be hard to remove and then recreate.
3. I also need to figure out how to do the military detailing Lizzie has on the front of her coat. I've been trying to figure out if this has a different name than "Frog" but haven't had much luck in that area.
|Here you can see the three-dimensional trim on her bodice front.|
My coat already has a bit of military-design to it, but it's just done with a simple stitching and Heather suggested I just use a braided cord to get the look I want. Now, even though I really want Lizzie's look, I'm also a bit sad about covering up this cool already-in-existance thing about my coat. However, I think I can be happy knowing where to PUT the braid without having to measure and remeasure. Now, I just have to find braid like this:
4) Once I figure out the braid thing, I need to decide about removing the hooks and eyes or not. The third fastner was already missing when I bought the coat, but I could just move up one from the cut-off bottom to replace it. Lizzie also has a button-closed Spencer which is nice too:
5) Then there is the matter about the back. What in the world to do here? I can't seem to find a picture of Lizzie's Spencer back, so that causes a few problems. So here are my options:
|Pleating with button detailing... or with a band divider.|
|Fish Tail... a little odd, but would probably look better if larger in design.|
|Then there is the curved back. I think I like this one the best for my design because it would show off my gorgeous gathered bustle in the back.|
|(Ignore the fact that there are no undergarments or button closures in this picture!)|
I just thought of something: When I do finally get around to figuring out the buttonholer and I attach my pearl buttons... won't they stick out funny under my Spencer? Uh-oh!
6) One final thing... I like the detailing the Bennet girls always have on their Spencer sleeves (as in the yellow coat photo). It's a little strap and a button; I wonder if I should do something like that. It would be awesome if I'll have enough of that purple braid from the weird back piece I removed, but I doubt it.